Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Down the rabbit hole

For Maddie's school project they have to remake a scene from a movie... well, Miss Maddie put on her imagination cap and decided to do, Alice in Wonderland, the tea party scene! This isn't just a minor production either, not to mention the fact that we have to do in real life , what cartoonists can do with a pencil! But... with the help of a few of her friends ( cast members, AKA Mad Hatter, and the rabbit, Maddie being Alice ) we are getting things together. Every teacup in the house is rounded up, and the table is being set!

Now you wouldn't think that needing an Alice in Wonderland dress would come up very often in one's life, but in Maddie's, it's a habit! And never for Halloween, so it was time to make our own, rather than rent. Oh my Gosh what was I thinking?? I am NOT a sewer! But the twinkle in Maddie's eye was enough to make me try.... off I go to the unknown world of fabric and thread! ( Now I know how the newbie scrapbookers feel in our store! ) I seeked out the help of a friendly face and requested help! The store clerk was amazing and so helpful I actually thot maybe we could pull this off! Then she told me, "No she can't come home with me " :-( oh well, it was worth a try!

So Long story short, we tackled the mountain of blue fabric, and actually are making progress! We had to call Nana in Medicine Hat to find out which way the grain of the fabric ran and after that we were off and sewing.

I was given velcro tabs at the store, because the woman saw me start to sweat when she mentioned a zipper... but up til now ( knock on wood ) we seem to be doing ok, so I'm going to pick up a zipper today and see how brave I am tonight!

Here is the start, and I'll send pix when we're all done!











No comments: