Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Power of Marketing (and a good beer commercial)

This weekend, I was fortunate enough to be invited over to some friends to celebrate The Event - The Superbowl. Now, I do not usually follow the NFL and the stats, coaches and player's names fly over my head. I have no idea. But I liked being part of the celebration of this event and am going to try and celebrate it every year. It's fun. Almost as fun as an election or the State of the Union...

I have some pretty good family out there. My brother in law, he was known once as "The other Dean", sent a really nice gift to me via my parents last week. A 24 pack of Coors. My absolute favourite beer in the world. It was first beer I ever drank when I turned 18 (and admittedly a little bit before I turned 18). For some reason, Coors Heavy, as we affectionately call it is no longer sold in most beer stores. It has been replaced by Coors Light which I really don't care for.

Our gracious hosts have some american roots. When I showed up with Coors Heavy, one of our hosts was a little taken aback. He held it in his hands and made the sound when as if he'd found the holy grail! Finally, I know someone who GETS IT!

Through the technical wizardry of YouTube I am actually able to go back to the 1980s and see why I loved this beer so much - what hooked me? Remember Mark Harmon? Yeah, NCIS, Mark Harmon! He hooked me on the Coors! Here's why - I liked all of them but this first one was my favourite:





And now you know, why over 20 years later (wow, where did the time go?), Coors is The One.

No comments: