Saturday, July 11, 2009

Goodbye Conklin



As me and Dean walked around the Stampede grounds last week, I was looking for some favorite rides that I have seen since I was a kid. But oddly enough some were missing from the grounds this year, I couldn't find the Mach II rollercoaster, or the haunted house with the big green witch?? This puzzled me until a few days later I ( yes I did ) googled it. And what do my eyes see?? Conklin rides are no more! A sad day in Carnyville indeed!!

The article read: Conklin Shows as it was known in Canada and the US, is no more. The carnival no longer provides the midway at fairs and exhibitions as in the past, including, Miami, Florida’s, Dade County Fair, Calgary Alberta’s, Calgary Stampede, and Toronto, Ontario’s, CNE, The Canadian National Exhibition. Conklin Shows was created by a flamboyant American carnie, Patty Conklin, almost 80 years ago. It has grown from a small rag-bag show based in Vancouver, BC, to become North America’s largest carnival.
The rides are now supplied by N.A.M.E North American Midway Entertainment. And I miss Conklin :-(


Conko, the clown logo, and name were not included in the sale. Conklin Shows has been reincarnated as a small family Ontario Carnival. Many of the original staff are still "with it".
Three generations of Conklins and as many generations of loyal, skilled and dedicated staff have steered the show through good times and bad, to fairs big and small. It's safe to say that more people have enjoyed themselves on Conklin midways than on the midways of any other carnival company in the world.
Maddie and Kimmy in 2001 @ Stampede.

No comments: